[Kde-games-devel] A problematic translation

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 14:31:39 CET 2007

Hi all,

I've been discussing with a fellow translator, and we have a problem
translating "game" in Italian. It's not a blocker in any means, but it's an
issue that would be good to address in the future, especially if other
languages have the same issue.

The problem is this:

We have two words that we use for different meaning of "game".

For example,

"The game of chess" is translated as "Il gioco degli scacchi".

However, "Let's play a game of chess" is translated
"Giochiamo una partita a scacchi".

This means, "Gioco" is reserved to refer to a game in an abstract manner, its
rules or maybe the stuff you use to play it.

On the other hand, "Partita" is used when "playing a game", going through the
game rules to get a result. At least for many game types. For example, it's
hard to say one is playing a "partita" of ktuberling.

So it would be useful for Italian translators to distinguish which kind of
game is to be used.

Luciano