[kde-edu]: An idea for a new application

Ben Crawford crawford_ben at yahoo.ca
Tue Jun 12 11:01:56 CEST 2007

Good Evening.

First an introduction.  My name is Ben and I am a Canadian who is working as high school math and physics teacher in New Zealand.  I was first introduced to Linux almost 10 years ago - something around RedHat 4 or 5.  Since then I have been using it to various degrees for various tasks.

One of my current projects is a customized live boot cd based on edubuntu that integrates
with our existing school network.  The project is still in its early
stages, but so far is going very smoothly.

Now for the current thread.

In my searches for various applications I have been finding that there seems to be an abundance of applications for various tasks.  However, most of them are either aimed at the primary level (ages 5 to 12) or the university level.  For some reason there seems to be a lack of appropriate applications at the early high school level (ages 11 - 15, 16).

The idea presented here is fantastic.  It is aiming an application at the exact level that I am finding a hole.

Unfortunately, I too lack the programming skills to be of use.  I will, however, be more than willing to participate in other aspects of the project.

Anyone else who happens to need help with a high school math or physics project please feel free to contact me through the mailing list - I usually keep a close eye on the developments here.

Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source and specifically the kde-edu team.  The applications I have used and continue to use are a great tool that I will continue to use to assist in the classroom.

Ben