[kde-edu]: An idea for a new application.

Vladimir ks.vladimir at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 16:40:56 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 12 June 2007 15:59:45 Miguel Marco wrote:
> > Jo napot, Kalló, and welcome to the list.
> >
> > I think I saw something similair done with WIMS, a math content server.
> > But as for native programmes, I don't remember any.
> >
> > As I get you (and Miguel), this could be a central use case:
> >
> > The user (student) is presented a randomly created equation like:
> >
> > 	3x + 4 = 5x
> >
> > Now he has to subtract 3x on both sides. Miguel's idea was to "drag"
> > the "3x" term from left to right, switching its sign:
> >
> >             + 4 = 5x ^
> >              ..[3x]../
> >
> > I am a bit critical with this: You can't "move" terms, but what you do
> > is identical operations on both sides. I prefer a balance model, here.
> >
> > But in general, I like to support this idea.
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Viszontlatasra.
> > Ralf
>
> Well, my original idea was to be able to configure the "expertise level".
> In such a way that, at the beginning, you should actually do operations on
> both sides of the expression, and perforn simplifications by yourself
> (maybe by selecting both terms and pushing a "simplify" button or something
> like that). At a next level (when the student has shown enough
> understanding of the previous process), automatic simplifications could be
> enabled. And when the student has shown again enough understanding, drag
> and drop could be enabled (understanding that it is just a shortcut for the
> "operation at both sides" and "simplification" actions, and hence i think
> that an animation showing both steps would be interesting).
Don't forget about the cases where we can lose solutions (or add new ones) by
applying the same operation to both sides of the equation: x*(2-x)=x*x and
division by x or x+2=2 and adding 1/x. The program should behave nicely in
such cases (at least keep track of lost/added solutions or split the equation
to the cases).

> I have found another program that does something, similar: MathDragn (its
> website is http://mathdragn.squarespace.com/) , but it is still unfinished,
> and hence it doesn't work as well as expected. It uses Mathematica or
> Maxima to make the symbollic computations. I think it could be a good idea
> to look at it as a starting point to work from.
>

> Sincerelly:
>
> Miguel Angel Marco Buzunariz.
> Departamento de Matemáticas.
> Universidad de Zaragoza.