[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - an alternative draft for discussion

A. Spehr spehr at kde.org
Mon Feb 15 13:51:57 GMT 2016

On Feb 15, 2016 5:30 AM, "Alexander Neundorf" <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
> On Saturday, February 13, 2016 21:35:22 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Monday 08 February 2016 17:07:26 Alexander Dymo wrote:
> > > Defining it in writing as the goal of KDE adds neither value nor
> > > attractiveness to KDE as a project.

[???]

> > Well, that's debatable (and I disagree with it), but I hope you agree
> > that not defining it in writing as the goal of KDE can only reduce KDE's
> > attractiveness (because some potential contributors might fail to see
> > our goal and decide to join another community).
>
> > I think your concern is that the vision does not function as
> > differentiation from other free software communities. That's correct,
> > but setting KDE apart from other free software communities is not the
> > purpose of the vision. What differentiates us from other free software
> > communities is not our goal, but the way we want to reach (resp.
> > approach) this goal. And this way should be spelled out in the mission.

"World domination through free software."

Maybe that's too flippant, or more the vision of Linux and not KDE, but
that was my first thought as I glanced at this in the middle of the night,
while half asleep. Who doesn't want to take over the world with cool toys?

> How do we call the stuff which is what most KDE software is typically
doing ?
> It's not CLI, it's not braille, voice output (while great) is also not the
> core of KDE, it's not machine interfaces, "Free Software" is just too
generic.
> (I'd call it GUI, since the computer presents information in a graphical
way.)

"GUI Interfacing"?

Alex Spehr