[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - an alternative draft for discussion

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Feb 15 13:31:09 GMT 2016

Hi Ingo,

On Saturday, February 13, 2016 21:35:22 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Monday 08 February 2016 17:07:26 Alexander Dymo wrote:
> > Defining it in writing as the goal of KDE adds neither value nor
> > attractiveness to KDE as a project.
>
> Well, that's debatable (and I disagree with it), but I hope you agree
> that not defining it in writing as the goal of KDE can only reduce KDE's
> attractiveness (because some potential contributors might fail to see
> our goal and decide to join another community).

Well, in general it probably doesn't hurt.
But OTOH it doesn't add much either over the manifesto. I mean, we could
extend the manifesto with some statement regarding privacy.
But it is possible that those who would like to see some more technical
direction may actually be disappointed if the next thing KDE produces is again
not talking about technical direction or products.

> I think your concern is that the vision does not function as
> differentiation from other free software communities. That's correct,
> but setting KDE apart from other free software communities is not the
> purpose of the vision. What differentiates us from other free software
> communities is not our goal, but the way we want to reach (resp.
> approach) this goal. And this way should be spelled out in the mission.

Ok.
I doubt anybody wants to fight about the definition, whether its the vision,
or the mission, or the product vision, or vision+mission combined.

What our group wants to have, is getting some more attention back to the
products created by the KDE community.

How do we call the stuff which is what most KDE software is typically doing ?
It's not CLI, it's not braille, voice output (while great) is also not the
core of KDE, it's not machine interfaces, "Free Software" is just too generic.
(I'd call it GUI, since the computer presents information in a graphical way.)

Alex