GSoc proposal

Divyam Madaan divyam3897 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 04:32:30 UTC 2017

hi

For instructions we can use https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oware#Rules ?

> One important part is to have animations for the children to easily
> understand where the beans go.

Yes without animations its not easy to see how the seeds went to the
current position.  I would have animations like as shown
http://www.joansala.com/auale/rules/en/ in both parts (tutorial and game)
showing the movement of seeds. Does it look good?.

Have you checked for existing AI avoiding you to code yours?

> Yes, the AI part is done at
https://cgit.kde.org/gcompris.git/tree/src/activities/awele/engine.js?h=Sok_Activity_Awele&id=b0338b500e0b10134d863cc7a939867b562411f5
The main problem in AI mode I saw was I couldn't really see what seeds the
computer is sowing as when I take my turn I get my turn in the next itself
(it appeared that computer didn't take its turn the reason being no
animation). I am checking out what parts of it can be used which I can
avoid (if it turns helpful)

> For computer parts, I'm not sure if it is on purpose or not,

Earlier the purpose of computer parts was to just teach the PC parts.
Emannuel came up with this idea of generic devices :) Earlier kids used
PC's mainly but now phones, laptops and even single board computers are
being used by them. So with new technology I think its better to teach them
all the parts and not the PC as then they have to scratch their heads and
they make a synchronization with different parts of different devices
example mouse (PC) = touchpad (laptop) = touch screen (mobile) => (used for
selecting things).
I thought it of two ways one being the way I proposed where all devices are
together in a level other being where we can have different levels for
different devices eg different for computer, laptop, mobile where we have
exploded image for each without labels and we ask them to select the
corresponding part no and labels
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/Personal_computer%2C_exploded_6.svg
Which one type can look better?

> the images
> you gave are copyrighted and we can't use them.
>
> It was for demo purpose, I would surely use open source images :) Here is
the exploded image from wikimedia
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/41/Personal_computer%2C_exploded_5.svg/2000px-Personal_computer%2C_exploded_5.svg.png
for pc User can be allowed to select the part no or the part itself.

> For playpiano, I think we can do like in the Gtk+ version. Having
> playpiano to learn piano and piano_composition which would be a free to
> play mode and where we can load musics.

yes, but even in piano_composition we keep different levels for "sharp" and
"flat" notes so we should keep it that way only? Also for loading music it
was kept in last and second last levels in gtk+ version, maybe because its
overwhelming for the users in the beginning?
Also I see piano_composition and note names in the branch so play piano was
not started and is to be done in same branch? (play piano was known as
piano_composition in gtk+ version ;))

> Johnny

Thank you
Regards