GSoC Proposal Draft

Souradeep Barua sourad97 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 17:42:27 UTC 2017

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 9:36 PM, JAZEIX Johnny <jazeix at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/17/17 05:42, Souradeep Barua wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have updated my proposal in compliance with suggestions from
> http://gcompris.net/wiki/GSOC_newcomers.
> Mentors please take a look and I would be very grateful to receive your
> reviews and suggestions. :)
>
> Proposal
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d9DapqJY9pjARgYQj9JOHLkYxPbQ5CCHi0vwCxFTQdU/edit?usp=sharing>
>
> --
>

> *Regards, *
>
> *Souradeep Barua, *
>
> *Computer Science and Engineering Department, *
>
> *Jadavpur University, kolkata *
>
> Hi,
>
> regarding morse_code, there was a proposition from Horia to add a free
> mode allowing the child to create its own sounds, have you thought on how
> we can add it in the activity?
>
> Where/when (I mean in the activity flow) do you plan to add the audio
> mode? Like in lang or another solution?

At the end of current levels, the audio levels will be added. And after the
audio levels, we can add a button to go to a different screen , where the
free mode will be implemented. Does this sound good?

> You also need to take care of not having these levels when sounds are
> disabled.

Yes, we can add a condition to not go to audio levels when sound is
disabled.

> I don't think you need a complete audio dataset but just the 2 sounds
> (short and long).
>
> For programming_maze, the main inspiration was more https://lightbot.com/
> than blocky-games. Having a tutorial to explain what are the different
> instructions can be interesting.

Sure, I'll incorporate the tutorial in my timeline.

> For me, the programming maze could be considered as the first level to
> introduce programmation, then the draw a shape and bird need more reflexion
> from the child and should be more complicated.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing :D. In programming maze, with the help
of a detailed tutorial, I think we can guide the child well enough on how
to arrange programming blocks. Also, there's a nice feature in code.org ,
where after completing a levels in a similar kind of activity, they show
the corresponding line of codes in javascript in a pop-up. Here, we could
do something similar.
Similarly, for programming shape activities, we could show a for loop
pseudocode after each level. I think this will help the child grasp how
statements and other programming constructs really work.

> The timeline seems fine to me, maybe you will need to add time for the
> audio mode in morse code.

Yes, I am updating my timeline accordingly.
Thanks a lot for your feedback. :)