[FreeNX-kNX] Sabayon/xnest and FreeNX

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Thu Jun 3 09:54:34 UTC 2010

olaf <olaf-linux at gmx.de> wrote on 01/06/2010 13:06:38:

> Hi!
>
> Am Dienstag, 1. Juni 2010 12:23:17 schrieb Alastair Johnson:
> > The sabayon I know of is a gentoo-based linux distro [1]. From the
context
> > I assume you're talking about something else, but what?
>
> Like Marc said, it is not the sabayon distribution, it is a
desktop-lockdown
> and more.
> I'm talking about
> http://live.gnome.org/Sabayon/
>
> -->
> "Sabayon is a system administration tool to define and deploy

[SNIP]

> I have build my (FreeNX-)server for users with restricted access, the
most of
> them are layman (not have a clue) with computers, linux and so on, they
need
> only openoffice and filemanager.
> After har work to build the software (pxe-boot, freenx, ldap, ...) I
noticed
> that "kiosk-Admin-Tool" dows no longer works with the new kde 4.x,
> so I take a
> look at gnome and sabayon.

Your original post said KDE 4.3.

I haven't looked at either Kiosk Admin Tool or Sabayon, and I doubt that
anyone else subscribed to this group has either, at least not with NX.

In theory, all of these things you are trying should work with the NX X
server
proxy, but until someone has been through and ironed out any issues
(which may be small ones or show-stoppers) then you are not advised to
use them on a live server, unless you are prepared to work it out for
yourself.

In addition, you have chosed Opensuse 11.2, which is far from the most
popular distribution, and is more "experimental / cutting edge" than it
is an enterprise product.

You may well like the more advanced features ( me too, that's why I deploy
it in certain circumstances ), but you will find more help available for
Ubuntu, which has versions (still free) with long term support

or
Centos, which, now that a few issues have been sorted out has a bright
future and a massive user base via RHEL and fedora

wheras
with opensuse you will be re-installing every 2 years (max) with
the next batch of new stuff which doesn't quite work yet.

I understand that you might want a German distro, especialy as there
is now major uncertainty regarding Novell and SEL which may
continue for a year or so until M$ buy Novell, or Suse splits off again

but
if you are going to use it, you are letting yourself in for quite a bit of
work,

and
bear in mind, as you appear to be first to do most of this, we would
all be looking to you to tell us how you fixed it, rather than having
to try to re-create your problems to come up with a fix for you.
11.2 will only be around for 18 months, then it's all change again.

now
regarding locking down your desktops .  .  .

OK, it should work, but it doesn't.

If your users don't need a full desktop, you should consider (in the
absence of Kiosk or Sabayon working out-of-the-box)
either
a simpler window manager IceWM or LXDE,
or
running your applications rootless,
which means they just appear as applications on the user's desktop.

> Somewhere I read that sabayon opens a "Xnest"-Windows with ssh / nx-
> server/client ... or something similar, and I thought that can be the
reason
> why it does not work, because freeNX uses this too.

NOTE

Your issues are not with actually with FreeNX
(which is just one of a number of launcher / session managers for
nomachine's
nxagent/proxy),

but
with the nomachine software its-self, ie the X proxy, not the script which
launched it.

so
You should also look through the nomachine knowledge-base.

> And now I'm sitting here since weeks with a "ready-to-start"
FreeNX-server,
> but without any possiblity to give the users the same pre-configured and

> simple desktop (with limitations/restrictions),

I'm still planning to have a look at the samba issue you asked about,when
I can find time (we just had a bank holiday, and now we're in for a
heatwave
so you can imagine what happens in rainy London)

Also

One thing you didn't say was whether you have moved up to NX v3.4.0
on your Suse machines, or you are still on 3.2 from the Opensuse
community repositories.

You won't illicit much help if people think you are on an older version.

I sent you the script to roll an rpm of 3.4 but you might not have
received
it.

http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ