[FreeNX-kNX] Sabayon/xnest and FreeNX

olaf-linux at gmx.de olaf-linux at gmx.de
Thu Jun 10 09:10:26 UTC 2010

Hi Chris!

Am Donnerstag, den 03.06.2010, 10:54 +0100 schrieb chris at ccburton.com:
> I haven't looked at either Kiosk Admin Tool or Sabayon, and I doubt
> that
> anyone else subscribed to this group has either, at least not with
> NX.

And how do they configure the desktops (gnome, kde, ..) for their users?
You are talking about optimizing the sessions for speed, quality and so
on a few days before (I do not understand all of your conversation), I
do not understand how it is possible to optimize speed/quality without
the possibility to configure the user-settings of the desktop.

> In theory, all of these things you are trying should work with the NX
> X server
> proxy, but until someone has been through and ironed out any issues
> (which may be small ones or show-stoppers) then you are not advised
> use them on a live server, unless you are prepared to work it out for
> yourself.

Yes, because of this I'm thinking about giving up the project of using
freeNX/thinClients.
I have spend money (a new server) and a lot of time in this in the last
months, but without the possibility to set the users configurations I
see no chance for me to use the system.

> In addition, you have chosed Opensuse 11.2, which is far from the
> most
> popular distribution, and is more "experimental / cutting edge" than
> it
> is an enterprise product.
>

> You may well like the more advanced features ( me too, that's why I
> deploy
> it in certain circumstances ), but you will find more help available
> for
> Ubuntu, which has versions (still free) with long term support

Because of the much greater community-support of ubuntu I'm thinking
about changing to it the last weeks, but if I will do so I has to build
the hole LDAP-Server by myself (OpenSuse -> Yast -> LDAP -> ready to
start config, ready to use with my "egroupware"), and that's beyond my
knowledge. So I'm still using openSuse with great simple LDAP-config.

> If your users don't need a full desktop, you should consider (in the
> absence of Kiosk or Sabayon working out-of-the-box)
> either
> a simpler window manager IceWM or LXDE,

But then I had to configure the desktops too (!?)

> or
> running your applications rootless,
> which means they just appear as applications on the user's desktop.

I do not understand that. I have to try to find something about this
with google.

> You should also look through the nomachine knowledge-base.

I have done so and found an (one) article about sabayon and nomachine,
but with an other topic.

> I'm still planning to have a look at the samba issue you asked about,
> One thing you didn't say was whether you have moved up to NX v3.4.0
> on your Suse machines, or you are still on 3.2 from the Opensuse
> community repositories.
>
> You won't illicit much help if people think you are on an older
> version.
>
> I sent you the script to roll an rpm of 3.4 but you might not have
> received

Sorry, I had not see it, there are too many mails day by day.
I have take a look at it now. Thank you.
My problem: every time I try to compile myself / don't using
yast/zypper, anything went wrong and I had to spend many evenings to get
the things working again, so I'm not sure if it is a good idea for me to
try this with my working freeNX.
At the moment FreeNX is working, I'm stucking in other problems
(restricted user accounts, no usb-sticks/printers) and the possibility
to crash the hole FreeNX by compiling a newer version is not good for my
motivation at the moment ;-(
If the other things will work, I think I will be brave again to try a
newer version.

Chris, thank you for your long mail with good descriptions.

Bye
Olaf