[FreeNX-kNX] Sabayon/xnest and FreeNX

olaf olaf-linux at gmx.de
Tue Jun 1 12:06:38 UTC 2010

Hi!

Am Dienstag, 1. Juni 2010 12:23:17 schrieb Alastair Johnson:
> The sabayon I know of is a gentoo-based linux distro [1]. From the context
> I assume you're talking about something else, but what?

Like Marc said, it is not the sabayon distribution, it is a desktop-lockdown
and more.
I'm talking about
http://live.gnome.org/Sabayon/

-->
"Sabayon is a system administration tool to define and deploy desktop profiles
for the GNOME desktop environment. It allows you to control such things as
panel layouts, menu items, default gconf settings, as well as provide pre-
defined defaults for some non-GNOME programs such as Firefox. It also makes
use of the lockdown functionality of Pessulus. It does this by providing a
"desktop within a window", allowing you to customize your desktop as you see
fit, then recording your changes, to be applied to users by the sabayon-apply
program at login time."

And this "...desktop within a window ..." is the piece that does not work, it
crashed sabayon on my FreeNX-server. And without this window sabayon is not
usable. On other test-computers with OpenSuse and gnome (without installed
FreeNX) sabayon works correct.

I have build my (FreeNX-)server for users with restricted access, the most of
them are layman (not have a clue) with computers, linux and so on, they need
only openoffice and filemanager.
After har work to build the software (pxe-boot, freenx, ldap, ...) I noticed
that "kiosk-Admin-Tool" dows no longer works with the new kde 4.x, so I take a
look at gnome and sabayon.

Somewhere I read that sabayon opens a "Xnest"-Windows with ssh / nx-
server/client ... or something similar, and I thought that can be the reason
why it does not work, because freeNX uses this too.
And now I'm sitting here since weeks with a "ready-to-start" FreeNX-server,
but without any possiblity to give the users the same pre-configured and
simple desktop (with limitations/restrictions),

Bye
Olaf