[FreeNX-kNX] Problem Resuming Session

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Mon Jan 30 23:14:16 UTC 2006

This is an earlier reported bug on this list - search for for "wallpaper" I think... The problem is that when resuming, the client (or clients xserver) creates two x11 windows; one is a "snapshot" of the session and fills the desktop as a"wallpaper" (at least on winxp) and is static. The second window is the active resumed session, and is actually working, but sometimes doesn't get focus/gets ontop. If you switch back and forth between them you will eventually get to the working window.

With some KDE themes, e.g. Plastic, the window colors is incorrectly restored. This can be fixed by creating a short shell script on your desktop for instance, containing the following code: "dcop kwin KWinInterface reconfigure" which when started after resuming will set the colors for existing windows correctly.

when you say you get a second session after killing the nxclient, it's because freenx nxserver doesn't catch that the session is disconnected and doesn't change the state to suspended. This means that it creates a new session for you, as it thinks the other session is active/running. to fix this, connect with ssh to the server and run (as root): "nxserver --suspend <username>" (try --help for more info on this), and then resume the session.

Hope this helps, and explains the situation.

;-)Terje