[FreeNX-kNX] Third maintenance release of the 1.5.0 NX client

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Sat Dec 3 14:51:38 UTC 2005

On Saturday 03 December 2005 05:10, Nicholas Lee wrote:
> On 12/3/05, Kurt Pfeifle <k1pfeifle at gmx.net> wrote:
> > On Friday 02 December 2005 17:37, Matthew Price wrote:
> > > Still no fix for resuming on windows machines.  :-<
> >
> > What exactly are you talking about?
>
> I posted some detailed comments about this a while back under
> "[FreeNX-kNX] problem: nomachine nxclient 1.5 as wallpaper"
>
> Basically resuming a linux desktop session from a WinXP client creates
> two windows. One window which refuses to minimise.  This problem only
> seemed to occur between !M client and FreeNX server.  I never tried
> Linux client to FreeNX.

I have the same situation on all my current installations, so I'll try to
document my setups/the scenario, if it helps.

SW details:
FreeNX version 1.4.0-45-SVN OS (GPL) running on Kubuntu 5.10 Breezy
Client is WinXP running NoMachine client 1.5.0-114 and 1.5.0-132
(this happened also on privious version 106, if I remember correctly)
All connections use SSL.

Scenario:
When creating a new session, everything is ok; the NoMachine client creates
one X11 window on the client, I can minimize and maximize, and switch between
local and remote windows as expected.
When I then press CTRL+ALT+T and choose Suspend, the server suspends the
session as expected.
Then I connect to the server again and the session resumes. When I click at
the "magic pixel" in the upper-right corner, at first it looks like nothing
happend, because the remote desktop is still there.... But when looking
closer the NoMachine client's WinXP window is minimized to minimal
window-size in the upper-left corner. Then if I press down the <WIN>-button
(which brings up the startmenu on WinXP) I see on the taskbar that the
NoMachine client created two windows; one is active (meaning that it holds
the active remote session - currently minimized/smallest window-size), and an
another window which is a screencopy of the remote session, filling the
screen like a wallpaper (only that is filling the whole screen, not just the
desktop-area on winxp). Layer-wise it's "always on top", meaning that the
icons on my winxp-desktop isn't visible, and until I press down the <WIN>
button, or use ALT+TAB, all I see is the "dead" X11-session with the little
window in the upper-left corner which is the active minimized X11 window.

Whenever I work in a resumed session I can press the <WIN> button which brings
up the local WinXP startmenu, and at the WinXP taskbar I always have two
NoMachine client-windows. The second one is always the active, and the first
is always a "screencopy" of the active (second window) session at the moment
I either pressed the <WIN>-button, or clicked in the upper-right corner.

To answer Kurt's 3 questions:

> What exactly are you talking about?
>
>  a) creating a session on a Windows client, and resuming it
>     on the very same Windows client (with the same display
>     resolution/depth/etc, settings)?
Yes, created on WinXP client, suspended and resumed again from the same client
as soon as the suspending is finished (or after several days, makes no
difference)

>  b) creating a session on one Windows client, and resuming it
>     a different Windows client (with the different display
>     resolution, etc. settings)?
That's not my primarily usage, but I've done that too, and even though I can
resume my session (which is great!), I always get two NoMachine
client-windows on WinXP.

>  c) creating a session on a Linux client, and resuming it
>     (in effect: *migrating* it to) a Windows client (with
>     different display resolution/depth/etc. settings)?
No, I don't do that

> What NX server are you using?
>
>  a) FreeNX ?  Which version ?
FreeNX version 1.4.0-45-SVN OS (GPL) running on Kubuntu 5.10 Breezy
Client is WinXP running NoMachine client 1.5.0-114 and 1.5.0-132

>  b) NoMachine NX ?  Which version ?
No - not yet, but soon.... :-)

Hopefully, I managed to explain the scenario correctly and in a way people can
understand.... :-)

/Terje