[digiKam-users] Hardware Suggestion for Digikam

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 09:17:11 BST 2021

Hi,

Le mar. 13 juil. 2021 à 09:47, Tonio Kroeger <tonio.kroeger1903 at gmail.com>
a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I have been working with Digikam for many many years now! Great software!!
>
> Currently I run it on a Raspberry Pi. It is working though performance is
> not great. Most annoying is the load time of pictures, both in preview and
> in the editor. This is not a Digikam issue, the raspi is the bottleneck. My
> files are quite large, 50 megapixels, Jpegs upto 20mbyte, Raws 90mbyte.
>
> So I had a look and maybe I will upgrade to an Intel NUC. Looks quite
> appealing. I will run it under Ubuntu.
>
> So what with Digikam in mind should I take account for? My pictures will
> reside on an external USB-Harddrive. For a SSD their overall size is to
> large. So I will try to get a fast processor and for the SQLLite-Database a
> reasonable sized internal SSD.
>
> So my questions: What do you think about the size of main memory? Should I
> consider to switch from external Harddisk to an internal solution (A 2.5''
> disk will be too small)?  Does a graphics card have any influence on
> Digikam? Should I look for more than four processor cores? What else would
> be of importance?

Definitively, 8Go of RAM is the standard now. Forget 32 bits processor, and
use a 64 bits one. More memory can be better depending of tasks done in
digiKam, but it's not necessary.

4 cores CPU is the standard now. More cores will be exploited in digiKam,
not everywhere yet.

GPU is less important here, but in the future this will be different.
Typically, the OpenCV C++ layer is designed to use GPU for computation.
OpenCV is used at many places in digiKam, especially in face workflow. But
for the moment, the bundle that we provide disables GPU usage for stability
(we prefer stability over efficiency). Linux native package will enable
this support of course.

SSD, not over USB is the best solution. Don't forget that USB is also a
bottleneck. I recommend a native connectivity to storage devices.

Voilà

Best regards