[digiKam-users] Hardware Suggestion for Digikam

Tonio Kroeger tonio.kroeger1903 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 08:46:34 BST 2021

Hi all,

I have been working with Digikam for many many years now! Great software!!

Currently I run it on a Raspberry Pi. It is working though performance is
not great. Most annoying is the load time of pictures, both in preview and
in the editor. This is not a Digikam issue, the raspi is the bottleneck. My
files are quite large, 50 megapixels, Jpegs upto 20mbyte, Raws 90mbyte.

So I had a look and maybe I will upgrade to an Intel NUC. Looks quite
appealing. I will run it under Ubuntu.

So what with Digikam in mind should I take account for? My pictures will
reside on an external USB-Harddrive. For a SSD their overall size is to
large. So I will try to get a fast processor and for the SQLLite-Database a
reasonable sized internal SSD.

So my questions: What do you think about the size of main memory? Should I
consider to switch from external Harddisk to an internal solution (A 2.5''
disk will be too small)?  Does a graphics card have any influence on
Digikam? Should I look for more than four processor cores? What else would
be of importance?

(I actually do not dare to switch to Mysql. Many years ago I lost all my
metadata. This still feels bad today. I won't touch my setting.)

Thanks a lot

Tonio