[digiKam-users] Extract face images

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 09:45:32 BST 2021

Hi,

Le mar. 6 juil. 2021 à 09:27, Liam Gretton <liam.gretton at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to create a picture mosaic using the face images from digiKam.
> It looks like digiKam can mostly do what I want from the Tools -> Image
> Mosaic Wall function (though I can't find anything about this in the
> documentation).
>
> What I want to do is make a mosaic from the images of a person's face, and
> all those images are already captured by digiKam in the faces section.
> However there doesn't seem to be a way to save the images from the face
> tags, but I think I've worked out how to extract them from the
> recognition.d SQLite database:
>
> SELECT embedding FROM FaceMatrices WHERE identity=x
>
> Assuming I've even found the correct data, I can't work out what this
> image data format is.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1. Is there a simpler way of gathering the facial images that digiKam has
> already collected?

There is not yet a tool for this feature.

2. If not, how can I convert the binary image data from the recognition
> database into something useable?

The binary image is in OpenSource format PGF (wavelets compressed).
Look in my gihub account, there is a simple CLI tool to convert PGF to PNG :

https://github.com/cgilles/digikam-pgf-database

Best