[digiKam-users] Extract face images

Liam Gretton liam.gretton at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 08:27:10 BST 2021

Hi,

I'm trying to create a picture mosaic using the face images from
digiKam. It looks like digiKam can mostly do what I want from the Tools
-> Image Mosaic Wall function (though I can't find anything about this
in the documentation).

What I want to do is make a mosaic from the images of a person's face,
and all those images are already captured by digiKam in the faces
section. However there doesn't seem to be a way to save the images from
the face tags, but I think I've worked out how to extract them from the
recognition.d SQLite database:

SELECT embedding FROM FaceMatrices WHERE identity=x

Assuming I've even found the correct data, I can't work out what this
image data format is.

So my questions are:

1. Is there a simpler way of gathering the facial images that digiKam
has already collected?
2. If not, how can I convert the binary image data from the recognition
database into something useable?

Thanks,

Liam