[Digikam-users] Getting rid of button bars

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 17:02:20 BST 2007

2007/4/10, Jakob Oestergaard <joe at evalesco.com>:

> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I didn't even realize that we were arguing: I thought that we were
> > discussing the subject. I suppose the tone I intend when writing an
> > email is not the tone that the reader perceives. Sorry for appearing
> > argumentive.
>
> Ok no problem - I'll try and give my view on what you wrote.
>
> > B is not affected by the drawbacks of vertical photo display because
> > they are not interested in seeing the photos on the screen anyway,
> > rather they are interested in seeing the photos on paper.
>
> I take RAW photos both landscape and portrait.
> I import everything into DigiKam.
> I then use DigiKam's excellent 16-bit/channel editing to:
> 1) Sometimes adjust white balance
> 2) Sometimes adjust exposure
> 3) Crop
> Finally, some of these images are sent to print, some become computer
> desktop wallpapers, etc. etc.
>
> For the print images, landscape and portrait alike, it is essential that
> I can inspect the image on the monitor. Both to see composition (for
> cropping), to inspect details (for exposure) and everything in between
> for white balance adjustments, gamma, ...
>
> So, I am with you 100% as far as "Making good use of the screen area is
> important". Screen navigation and flexible display is very important,
> and certainly something that is worth improving wherever possible.
>
> I disagree with you that only 4:3 landscape matters on screen - my
> laptop is 1280x800, so even for strict computer-use-only images that
> argument doesn't hold.
>
> In conclusion; I think the side tabs are intuitive (even my mother finds
> them easy to use!), and while they certainly do take up space on the
> screen, they do not take up "a lot" of space. The tradeoff is between
> accessiblity+intuitiveness against space. Personally, and I don't speak
> for anyone but myself here, I think the current solution is a good
> tradeoff. I'm sure it can be improved, but I think that moving the tabs
> into a menu is a worse tradeoff than the current, not a better one.

Totally agree with you Jakob,

I hate personnaly the applications layout like showimg or gwenview where you
can move everywhere each part on the left/right/top/bottom.

The layout is always broken and not intuitive. This way have been used by
old M$ applications like Office and now completly forget.

I remember some long thread with digiKam developper in digikam-devel ML
about the way to display informations in digiKam. The best way find is
sidebar like it's implemented.

Gilles