[Digikam-users] Getting rid of button bars

Jakob Oestergaard joe at evalesco.com
Tue Apr 10 16:21:32 BST 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I didn't even realize that we were arguing: I thought that we were
> discussing the subject. I suppose the tone I intend when writing an
> email is not the tone that the reader perceives. Sorry for appearing
> argumentive.

Ok no problem - I'll try and give my view on what you wrote.

> B is not affected by the drawbacks of vertical photo display because
> they are not interested in seeing the photos on the screen anyway,
> rather they are interested in seeing the photos on paper.

I take RAW photos both landscape and portrait.
I import everything into DigiKam.
I then use DigiKam's excellent 16-bit/channel editing to:
1) Sometimes adjust white balance
2) Sometimes adjust exposure
3) Crop
Finally, some of these images are sent to print, some become computer
desktop wallpapers, etc. etc.

For the print images, landscape and portrait alike, it is essential that
I can inspect the image on the monitor. Both to see composition (for
cropping), to inspect details (for exposure) and everything in between
for white balance adjustments, gamma, ...

So, I am with you 100% as far as "Making good use of the screen area is
important". Screen navigation and flexible display is very important,
and certainly something that is worth improving wherever possible.

I disagree with you that only 4:3 landscape matters on screen - my
laptop is 1280x800, so even for strict computer-use-only images that
argument doesn't hold.

In conclusion; I think the side tabs are intuitive (even my mother finds
them easy to use!), and while they certainly do take up space on the
screen, they do not take up "a lot" of space. The tradeoff is between
accessiblity+intuitiveness against space. Personally, and I don't speak
for anyone but myself here, I think the current solution is a good
tradeoff. I'm sure it can be improved, but I think that moving the tabs
into a menu is a worse tradeoff than the current, not a better one.

I could be wrong of course  :)

--
Best regards,
    Jakob Oestergaard