[Digikam-users] Review of Digikam

Oliver Dörr oliver at doerr-privat.de
Thu Dec 21 20:27:25 GMT 2006

Gerhard Kulzer wrote:
> Am Samstag, 16. Dezember 2006 15:08 schrieb jdd:
>
>> Duncan Hill a écrit :
>>
>>> There are tools for doing backups that do them very well.
>>>
>> the problem is backing up the data base in the way they
>> don't lose track of images. this is very difficult to acheive.
>>

>>> The benefit of the sqlite database file is that you have on central
>>> location to easily store and retrieve the information.
>>>
>> and the need of yet another database engine...
>>
>>    This also makes
>>

>>> it faster than scanning 8000 photos to find all photos matching
>>> 'london'.
>>>
>> there is no "london" in any photo if you don't key it in
>> yourself
>>
>> I use digikam for more than a year now and have already lost
>> my datas 2 or three time :-((
>>

> How did you do that?
> I use digiKam since 3 years now, I compile daily from svn (riskier it cannot
> come, I had many, many crashes), I've about 18000 images tagged and I never
> lost any tags. In my opinion the most stable thing in digikam is sqlite and
> therefore tagging.

Sorry,

but i lost my tags also two times and so i given up tagging my images. I
don't know how it happened, perhaps it has something to do with not
exactly knowing how tagging works technically and doing something wrong
on my own.

-> Loosing tags is a serious problem, because it destroys so much work
and this destroys trust into this feature.

Sorry
Oliver

PS: I'm managing 13841 photos with digikam.
PPS: I personally don't believe that sqlite is stable, at least not the
way i'm using it. Me and my wife are using on computer with digikam and
the same album library path. So from to time digikam is started twice. I
now the digikam is not designed for that, but thats we way the us it ;-)