Dynamic Collection: Conflicting Mount Points

Maximilian Kossick mkossick at gmx.de
Sat Jun 17 01:21:21 UTC 2006

Am Saturday, 17. June 2006 01:57 schrieb Colin Guthrie:
> Bradley Pesicka wrote:
> > have found a problem I cannot quite find a good solution for.
> >     Last time we talked, amarok would crash whenever a cd was put in.  I
> > was working with cd's because I have a few cd's with mp3's burnt on
> > them.  I would like to be able to put a cd in the drive and have the
> > songs show up in the collection.  However, when I put in a different cd
> > in the drive, the old files are removed and the new ones are added.
> >     As far as I can tell, this happens because, while dynamic collection
> > in it's current state handles missing mounts by not including them in
> > any queries, different collections or devices with the same mount point
> > conflict with each other.
> >     I spent a couple of hours trying to find a solution, but I think it
> > will take a little more work than that to get it working.  Any help
> > would be greatly appreciated.
> >     Thanks for the help so far.
>
> Forgive me for being an idiot, but how do I configure a dynamic
> collection? Is this done automatically for removable media? If so how do
> I force my NFS share to be a dynamic collection? Sometimes it's
> connected, as is my iRiver. I'd like them both to be dynamic collections
> ideally so they can be disconnected.
>
> I just tried to add a my NFS share but upon restarting Amarok after
> unmounting all the files were deleted from the db (or so it seems).
>
> Using 1.4.1
>

> PS having read the discussion article linked from this thread I see that
> this would address network shares....
>
> Col.

You can't configure it at the moment. This stuff is still very much
work-in-progress and there isn't anything to configure at the moment. It
works to some extent for removable medias like external USB harddisks and
CD-ROMs. We have collected some ideas for handling network shares on the wiki
page but they aren't supported yet. Therefore Amarok deletes the files from
its database when the share is unmounted.

I just checked the KDE media applet and it looks like it supports NFS and
Samba shares. You could do me a real favour and send me the output of "dcop
kded mediamanager fullList" (without the quotes) while the NFS share is
mounted. Hopefully it contains some information about the NFS share I might
be able to use.

Max