Label buttons - one more time

Milot Shala milot.shala at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 21:03:28 CET 2010

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 8:04 PM, Daniel Dewald
<Daniel.Dewald at time-shift.de>wrote:

> On Saturday, 13. February 2010 19:41:14 Thomas Lübking wrote:
> > Attached is (the sketch of) an approach that would
> > - bring some kind of icon as enrico suggested
> > - bring some sort of "button" to the label*
> > - does not (really) break animations
> > - does not clash with the horizontal lining of the timeslider
> > - point the direction of the label (the direction of the angle and the
> open
> > end)
> >
> > When looking on the sketch, please ignore the outer watermark arrows and
> >  the blue text color.
> > Also the label alignment needs to be corrected (r/c/l - the angles would
> >  move towards the center), i.e. I know there's space for visual
> improvement
> >  ;-)
> >
> > For the moment, all I want to here is whether this signing makes the
> label
> > clickable (enough) to you.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Thomas
> >
> > *I figured that the important and constant part of all interactive UI
> >  elements is the fact they /have/ a decoration, not what it looks in
> >  particular (thus we've buttons from win3.11 to Aqua or the Doom3 techy
> HUD
> >  style)
> >
> > The next "button" has a counter angle for illustration, personally i'd
> >  prefer to go w/o as the open space will support the direction hinting.
> >

> Up until now I was silent in this whole label/bar discussion but I feel an
> urge to clarify a my view of a few points.
>
> First of all I may not be THE UI guy but I recently attended to a class
> called
> "Human Interface Interaction" and had an exam about it which is both quite
> vivid in my mind. And the FIRST rule of UI simply is to give the user what
> he
> expects. Its nice to invent new stuff and its nice to have new features as
> long as the user opens the UI and knows what he has to do to get the job
> done.
> So what is the user expecting when he wants to play music? He wants an
> arrow
> button to start playing, a two bars button for pause (its plausible to
> integrate those two), a button with a rectangle for stop and two buttons
> with
> 2 arrows in it for next and previous. We have no stop button which
> personally
> I hate.. and we also have no next and previous buttons. That a simple fact.
> If
> I have to SEARCH for the next, previous and stop "buttons" the UI simply
> does
> not work as expected which violates the most fundamental rules of
> Interaction.
> So for god sake put those damn buttons back where they belong and let us
> work
> on features who are not integrated in the mind of the user since the first
> [...]

I really like the new toolbar, it awesome and I got used to it, but I am a
developer and I figure things out faster than a normal user and I was
following the discussion about the new toolbar since the beginning.

But I have to agree with the Daniel's suggestion, I think that by default
Amarok should have bigger next/previous and stop buttons and let the new
look have to be chosen by the user in the settings.

--
Milot Shala, Software Engineer
www.spartansoft.org | m.shala at spartansoft.org