Label buttons - one more time

Daniel Dewald Daniel.Dewald at time-shift.de
Sat Feb 13 20:04:20 CET 2010

On Saturday, 13. February 2010 19:41:14 Thomas Lübking wrote:
> Attached is (the sketch of) an approach that would
> - bring some kind of icon as enrico suggested
> - bring some sort of "button" to the label*
> - does not (really) break animations
> - does not clash with the horizontal lining of the timeslider
> - point the direction of the label (the direction of the angle and the open
> end)
>
> When looking on the sketch, please ignore the outer watermark arrows and
>  the blue text color.
> Also the label alignment needs to be corrected (r/c/l - the angles would
>  move towards the center), i.e. I know there's space for visual improvement
>  ;-)
>
> For the moment, all I want to here is whether this signing makes the label
> clickable (enough) to you.
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas
>
> *I figured that the important and constant part of all interactive UI
>  elements is the fact they /have/ a decoration, not what it looks in
>  particular (thus we've buttons from win3.11 to Aqua or the Doom3 techy HUD
>  style)
>
> The next "button" has a counter angle for illustration, personally i'd
>  prefer to go w/o as the open space will support the direction hinting.

Up until now I was silent in this whole label/bar discussion but I feel an
urge to clarify a my view of a few points.

First of all I may not be THE UI guy but I recently attended to a class called
"Human Interface Interaction" and had an exam about it which is both quite
vivid in my mind. And the FIRST rule of UI simply is to give the user what he
expects. Its nice to invent new stuff and its nice to have new features as
long as the user opens the UI and knows what he has to do to get the job done.
So what is the user expecting when he wants to play music? He wants an arrow
button to start playing, a two bars button for pause (its plausible to
integrate those two), a button with a rectangle for stop and two buttons with
2 arrows in it for next and previous. We have no stop button which personally
I hate.. and we also have no next and previous buttons. That a simple fact. If
I have to SEARCH for the next, previous and stop "buttons" the UI simply does
not work as expected which violates the most fundamental rules of Interaction.
So for god sake put those damn buttons back where they belong and let us work
on features who are not integrated in the mind of the user since the first
music player invented EVER! Sorry if my comment about this is a bit pissed but
we all dance around this and it simply is stupid from my point of view because
its obvious.

Daniel