GitHub

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Wed Jan 7 16:00:08 CET 2009

Mark Kretschmann wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 7:04 AM, Dan Meltzer
> <parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The downside to any of these options is that we still need to merge
>> back to svn at some point.  As many know, this usually ends up being
>> more work than it's worth.  Until kde supports git officially svn is
>> going to be the point of contact for new contributters and should
>> remain so to prevent a duplication of accounts and a horrid mess when
>> it comes to translations.

Yes, so any git solution, if we want to synchronize with SVN, requires
one person to do the initial git-svn checkout and push that up to the
git server.  All work in git must then be branched from that single
branch (so it's got to be kept updated fairly regularly).  That same
git-svn checkout must then always be used to merge back in and push back
up, so whoever does this checkout should make very sure to scrupulously
back up their local git repo...

> But that is also one problem with the current solution (Jeff's server):
>
> It's kinda a private thing and not transparent to interested users. It
> doesn't invite people to follow our development, or maybe even to
> contribute. So it's not very FOSS style.

Well sure, but it wasn't designed as an Amarok project resource.  I was
using it for my own needs, and offered it to anyone else that wanted to
have remotely hosted Git.

There's nothing non-FOSS about hosting a Git server yourself if you
allow anonymous people to read from it (which actually my server does,
but it's not a published location because it's not (at least right now)
meant as an official Amarok git repository).

> Plus, the instructions for participating seemed pretty complicated to
> me (so far I shied away from it, for that reason and others).

That's because it's using HTTP.  That's how I set it up because of my
initial need for it, which was not Amarok-related.

It's much less complicated if you just use the standard git protocol
(like Github does).  If we want to host on our own server, we should do
this anyways, so the barrier to entry is nil.