GitHub

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 19:16:48 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 2:41 AM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 7:04 AM, Dan Meltzer
> <parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The downside to any of these options is that we still need to merge
>> back to svn at some point.  As many know, this usually ends up being
>> more work than it's worth.  Until kde supports git officially svn is
>> going to be the point of contact for new contributters and should
>> remain so to prevent a duplication of accounts and a horrid mess when
>> it comes to translations.
>
> But that is also one problem with the current solution (Jeff's server):
>
> It's kinda a private thing and not transparent to interested users. It
> doesn't invite people to follow our development, or maybe even to
> contribute. So it's not very FOSS style.
>
> Plus, the instructions for participating seemed pretty complicated to
> me (so far I shied away from it, for that reason and others).

The other day I couldn't even try out Nikolaj's code since he had it
on Jeff's server, or at least no one knew how I could. Thats pretty
ridiculous.

I haven't used github much, but I do know that if you want to have a
truly collaborative project on it you need to either pay or register
as an open source project which takes human approvial (or this is how
it was last time looked). I wonder if the problem's Jeff described are
due to this.