D15580: New annotation toolbar

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jun 3 16:34:38 BST 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  >> - The Color button should actually show the current color rather than a generic icon
  >
  > This should already work.

  My mistake, it totally does work!

  >> - The Inner color button needs something to show that it exists; right now it just looks like whitespace in the toolbar. It should show its color like the other button, and for "no color", maybe an empty transparent square?
  >
  > Also the icons of color and inner color need to be done from scratch. I was thinking at a circle fillable with the current color and a border to show it exists.

  Yep, that sounds good. Also I found out why it looked invisible: its icon disappears when using the Line tool, or any other tool that doesn't have an inner color, and does not restore its icon when using a tool that does have an inner color. It should probably become conditionally and temporarily disabled instead.

  Yep, I did. Did it again for good measure. It still says, "Straight Line": F6866309: Screenshot_20190603_092649.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6866309>

  >> - I can't figure out what Pin Annotation actually does
  >
  > If checked the current annotation tool is kept selected after use (as double-click does in the current Okular). Needs a better name/tooltip. Added to TODO.

  Can't we just keep the old double-click behavior? I think that's good. Various other similar tools use a double-click to mean "activate this tool and then keep it active after you've used it once"  so it's not a totally alien UI. Then we could keep the pin icon as an additional visual status indicator of whether the current tool is "sticky" or not.

  >> - It's not clear to me how to select existing annotations once an annotation tool has been activated; consider maybe adding a "select annotations" tool or mode under the Selection dropdown menu.
  >
  > Currently you need to click Esc to deselect the annotation, then you can select the annotations (standard Browse mode). If instead 'pin annotation' is unchecked, the annotation is deselected automatically and you can select annotation. Beside the fact that clicking on an annotation does not select it (added to TODO) and that selecting and annotation does not switch to Browse mode (added to TODO), it works as the current version of Okular. I think we do not need a dedicated Selection tool.

  Got it. My first impulse to deselect the currently-active annotation tool was to to click on it again. Currently this does nothing. Maybe it should de-select it.