D15580: New annotation toolbar

Simone Gaiarin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jun 3 08:54:00 BST 2019

simgunz added a comment.

  There is a TODO list of the working and planned feature on task T8076 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T8076>. Some of your suggestions are already there and I added the missing one. I have updated the description of this review to point to that TODO for better clarity.

  In D15580#473460 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15580#473460>, @ngraham wrote:

  > getting there!
  >
  > UI review of the latest version:
  >
  > - Having the annotation tools on the main toolbar makes it overflow for all but the largest window sizes. How about putting them in a secondary toolbar below the main one that's hidden until the user shows it by clicking on a "Show annotation tools" item on the main toolbar and/or menubar?

  Already in TODO

  > - The Line width dropdown menu button should make the whole button clickable to show the drop-down rather than only the space under the arrow on the right

  Added to TODO

  > - The entries in the Line width dropdown should visually reflect the width of the line. Could these graphics be generated programmatically rather than using icons?

  Added to TODO

  > - Squiggle and Arrow need new icons; please file a bug on Breeze | Icons and request them

  Already in TODO. (I was waiting before requesting icons to see if I managed to get something working :-) )

  > - The `draw-polygon` icon might make it seem like that tool can only draw pentagons, consider using `draw_polyline` or `draw-polygon-star` instead

  I'll set it to draw_polyline

  > - The Color button should actually show the current color rather than a generic icon

  This should already work.

  > - The Inner color button needs something to show that it exists; right now it just looks like whitespace in the toolbar. It should show its color like the other button, and for "no color", maybe an empty transparent square?

  Also the icons of color and inner color need to be done from scratch. I was thinking at a circle fillable with the current color and a border to show it exists.

  > - Straight Line is mis-named, it's for drawing anything //but// a straight line! :) Should be something like "Freehand line"

  Have you removed .config/okularpartrc ? Otherwise the toolbar picks up the annotation in you custom orders and the buttons are mismatched.

  > - I can't figure out what Pin Annotation actually does

  If checked the current annotation tool is kept selected after use (as double-click does in the current Okular). Needs a better name/tooltip. Added to TODO.

  > - It's not clear to me how to select existing annotations once an annotation tool has been activated; consider maybe adding a "select annotations" tool or mode under the Selection dropdown menu.

  Currently you need to click Esc to deselect the annotation, then you can select the annotations (standard Browse mode). If instead 'pin annotation' is unchecked, the annotation is deselected automatically and you can select annotation. Beside the fact that clicking on an annotation does not select it (added to TODO) and that selecting and annotation does not switch to Browse mode (added to TODO), it works as the current version of Okular. I think we do not need a dedicated Selection tool.