D15580: New annotation toolbar

David Hurka noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jun 3 18:12:38 BST 2019

davidhurka added a comment.

  In D15580#473733 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15580#473733>, @ngraham wrote:

  > >> - I can't figure out what Pin Annotation actually does
  > >
  > > If checked the current annotation tool is kept selected after use (as double-click does in the current Okular). Needs a better name/tooltip. Added to TODO.
  >
  > Can't we just keep the old double-click behavior? I think that's good. Various other similar tools use a double-click to mean "activate this tool and then keep it active after you've used it once"  so it's not a totally alien UI. Then we could keep the pin icon as an additional visual status indicator of whether the current tool is "sticky" or not.

  Using double-click is probably used to some [how many?] Okular users, but others asked for something like a sticky button. An option to make selected actions sticky by default, without sticky button, would be perfect for me.
  From other applications I know left-click: use the tool, right-click: stop using the tool. If there is no fallback tool (see below), the tool will be remembered for the next left click.

  Actually, I don’t know any application where a tool automatically deselects. Do you have an example?

  >>> - It's not clear to me how to select existing annotations once an annotation tool has been activated; consider maybe adding a "select annotations" tool or mode under the Selection dropdown menu.
  >>
  >> Currently you need to click Esc to deselect the annotation, then you can select the annotations (standard Browse mode). If instead 'pin annotation' is unchecked, the annotation is deselected automatically and you can select annotation. Beside the fact that clicking on an annotation does not select it (added to TODO) and that selecting and annotation does not switch to Browse mode (added to TODO), it works as the current version of Okular. I think we do not need a dedicated Selection tool.
  >
  > Got it. My first impulse to deselect the currently-active annotation tool was to to click on it again. Currently this does nothing. Maybe it should de-select it.

  Clicking a selected tool to deselect sounds ok to me, although they are probably an exclusive action group. That would allow to use exactly one shortcut to enable and disable a single annotation tool.

  Does right-click still work to deselect a tool? That is how I know it from many other applications (not all).