Fwd: [Ktechlab-devel] Floating idea Schematic to Verilog for SOC's with analog and/or FPGA alongside.

Zoltan Padrah zoltan.padrah at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 19:03:13 GMT 2021

Forwarding to KDE list, too.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Feladó: Zoltan Padrah <zoltan.padrah at gmail.com>
Date: 2021. jan. 17., V, 20:58
Subject: Re: [Ktechlab-devel] Floating idea Schematic to Verilog for SOC's
with analog and/or FPGA alongside.
To: <ktechlab-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>

Alan Grimes via Ktechlab-devel <ktechlab-devel at lists.sourceforge.net> ezt
írta (időpont: 2021. jan. 17., V, 9:18):

> WADE MAXFIELD wrote:
> >   Is there any support for developing KtechLab schematic to Verilog
> outputs for PSoC family (or even embedded FPGA)  so that we can do visual
> design (for small projects)?
> >
> >  I have thick skin, so feel free to flame away.  Everyone has an
> opinion, and everyone’s opinion is correct, when taken in the context in
> which it is given.
>
> I like the idea. I've been out of the ktechlab loop for 10+ years
> beacause of version miss-matches with my local machine.
>
> FPGAs are definitely on the rise, Intel has bought Altera and AMD is
> looking to buy Xilinx and both are likely to add reconfigurable cores to
> their processors and/or bring them into more mainstream products,
> designing efficient code for these will be an increasingly important
> area of development.

Yes, I've read about that, too. I'm curious what will come out of these.

> If i remember the architecture of this program at all at this point, it
> would be a new document type that would be added to a project. I'm not
> sure how scalable that will be as a FPGA can have millions of gates. A
> few thousand gates, sure, but millions, that requires a higher level
> approach..

You mean to program FPGAs directly from KTechLab ? Then probably yes, but
probably we can get away with running generic script. The toolchains for
FPGAs are generally closed-source (maybe only ICE40 has open-source
toolchain?).

I think that for simulating Verilog, there is no need to synthesise for a
FPGA and load the RTL. Just process for simulation (hopefully with a
library..) Then I guess there shouldn't be issue with scalability. Maybe
I'm wrong?

Best regards,

 Zoltan