KStars Handbook

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Wed Apr 7 20:15:52 BST 2021

Hi,

On середа, 7 квітня 2021 р. 21:47:56 EEST Hy Murveit wrote:
> I had a few questions about the KStars Handbook.
>
> *Background and Thanks:*
> I had thought that it was not being updated for some technical reason, but
> then Patrick pointed out that it is now being updated again. Thanks very
> much to whomever fixed that!
>
> I guess the right url for the handbook is
> https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kstars/kstars/
> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kstars/kstars/&
> sa=D&source=hangouts&ust=1617906089755000&usg=AFQjCNGURcHRDD63hLFKV2Nv3b5hfp
> bHCA> and
> that it was updated on 3/11/2021. How often is it updated from source?

It should be updated every week automatically, but I'm afraid it is not so
smooth due to some structural issues.

https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-i18n-doc/2021-April/000493.html

> Yuri: I saw you added a section on the terrain feature. Thanks!!
>
> *Questions:*
> I'm curious who is currently working on it.  Is there a "Handbook leader"?

There is no leader in the sense of single leadership. You can do whatever you
want as long it does not break the KStars compilation.

> Yuri: Are you "in charge"? Are you actively modifying things, or planning
> on writing sections or organizing more?

Actually, no. I just plan to keep the docs consistent and synced with the
current interface.

Moreover, I do not have telescope and live in very light polluted area (big
city, Kyiv).

> Ken: I know Ken was looking at updating things, but I don't know if you
> (Ken) submitted changes, or what. If you have, what are your
> thoughts/progress?
>
> I also think that at a high level, Ekos could be emphasized more. For
> example, on the first table-of-contents page, Ekos should rise to the top
> level (and, for example be "6. Ekos") and the top paragraph could be broken
> in 2, etc etc.
>
> Should someone who has the time go through it, and re-organize? Is this
> already happening? (I'm not volunteering, but would be excited to see it
> happen, and would be happy to do sections, especially for the parts of
> Ekos/KStars I've modified the past couple years).
>
> Is there a WYSIWYG docbook editor that people use, or do people just edit
> the XML?

The syntax is very simple and the number of rules are so low that they are
easy to follow.

https://l10n.kde.org/docs/doc-primer/index.html

There were several attempts to write WYSIWYG docbook editor but they did not
survive due to the low interest (even commercial).

https://github.com/ydirson/serna-free

http://webisgroup.com/services/software/serna/

Just use Kate + meinproc5 + Konqueror and you are done, imho.

Best regards,
Yuri