[WikiToLearn] A day to mark on the calendar for WikiToLearn

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Sun Oct 4 16:49:15 UTC 2015

On Friday, October 02, 2015 03:37:03 PM Dario Mapelli wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > first of all, thanks to everybody who attended the sprint. It has been an
> > amazing experience, fun, inspiring, and the most productive sprint I have
> > ever
> > attended. For those who were not there, we managed to fix *all* the
> > stories
> > and tasks we set at the beginning! (And we had many!! I was hoping to get
> > 1/3rd of them at best!)
>
> ​Good job guys! Just a stupid question: is now possible to load .tex files​
> and have them automatically converted? That would be the best feature ever!

Exactly :-)

not only, this new importer will allow math expanding, i.e. you define a
custom math macro (e.g. \bra{\psi}) and it will get expanded to whatever
standard TeX it signifies (e.g. \left<\psi\right|).

> > After pondering for about ten minutes and asking me all kind of questions
> > (licensing, development model, writing conventions...), he registered to
> > the
> > website and started making some test edits to inspect things with his own
> > eyes. He then turned to me and announced that he loved the idea his
> > University
> > will be on the front line to use the platform and populate it with
> > content, in
> > order to increase courses' visibility and didactical power.
>
> ​That would be the first non-scientifical content on the website, wouldn't
> it?

Yes and no... depends when it's there :-) I have seen there is a student
already working on some medicine books, and we'll get soon a small textbook
about finance!

> > He has already set
> > up a meeting with the directors of the various departments (PQA) in order
> > to present them with the idea and start to get them on track with
> > experimenting.
> > Attending the presentation was also the head of the IT department, who
> > also liked our project very much and assured his support in order to
> > integrate seamlessly the content of WikiToLearn with other tools the
> > university is using (e.g. Moodle), providing help and all the needed
> > manpower to maintain them.
>
>> ​This will imply such a huge boost in content creation! Very well done!​

It also will give us a lot more credibilty to approach the professors in and
around the uni, e.g. when we ask for their notes!

> > The Rettore Vicario also asked me to put the logo wherever we feel
> > necessary,
> > in order to list Bicocca within the participating institutions in the
> > appropriate way.
>
> ​I think it's not a bad idea having ​a "Institution that supported us"
> (Including KDE, WikiMedia, INFN, and now Uni of Milan-Bicocca) page with
> their names, logos and website links. Or it could be on the mainpage. i
> dont know, up to you guys!

It's already on the homepage... it could admittedly be a little better though!

Thanks for your input Dario!! :-)

Bye,
-Riccardo