[WikiToLearn] A day to mark on the calendar for WikiToLearn

Dario Mapelli mapelli.dario at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 13:37:03 UTC 2015

> Hi all,
>
> first of all, thanks to everybody who attended the sprint. It has been an
> amazing experience, fun, inspiring, and the most productive sprint I have
> ever
> attended. For those who were not there, we managed to fix *all* the stories
> and tasks we set at the beginning! (And we had many!! I was hoping to get
> 1/3rd of them at best!)

​Good job guys! Just a stupid question: is now possible to load .tex files​
and have them automatically converted? That would be the best feature ever!

​​
While still catching up from the sprint, i encountered yesterday the Rettore

> Vicario (for the non italians, basically the head of the University for all
> the didactical matters) of the University of Milano Bicocca, which ranks as
> the first Italian university in the ministerial rankings. I was asked to
> present the project to him, in order to evaluate the idea behind it and see
> what we could do together. I was honestly not expecting much besides
> opening a
> communication channel, and maybe expand he ideas in a later time. I was
> totally unprepared for what his reaction was going to be.

He was absolutely enthusiast of the idea and stepped right in the middle of
> it!
>
> After pondering for about ten minutes and asking me all kind of questions
> (licensing, development model, writing conventions...), he registered to
> the
> website and started making some test edits to inspect things with his own
> eyes. He then turned to me and announced that he loved the idea his
> University
> will be on the front line to use the platform and populate it with
> content, in
> order to increase courses' visibility and didactical power.

​That would be the first non-scientifical content on the website, wouldn't
it?

> He has already set
> up a meeting with the directors of the various departments (PQA) in order
> present them with the idea and start to get them on track with
> experimenting.
> Attending the presentation was also the head of the IT department, who also
> liked our project very much and assured his support in order to integrate
> seamlessly the content of WikiToLearn with other tools the university is
> using
> (e.g. Moodle), providing help and all the needed manpower to maintain them.

​
​This will imply such a huge boost in content creation! Very well done!​
​

> The Rettore Vicario also asked me to put the logo wherever we feel
> necessary,
> in order to list Bicocca within the participating institutions in the
> appropriate way.

​I think it's not a bad idea having ​a "Institution that supported us"
(Including KDE, WikiMedia, INFN, and now Uni of Milan-Bicocca) page with
their names, logos and website links. Or it could be on the mainpage. i
dont know, up to you guys!

​In conclusion: very well done!​

​Bye, Dario