[WikiFM] WikiFm for Open Source content & knowledge Integration

jigar raisinghani jigarraisinghani at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 13:02:38 UTC 2015

Hi,

I had a brief discussion with Riccardo at akademy regarding promoting
Wikifm or WikiToLearn in Indian Institutes/Universities/Colleges and it
made a lot of sense especially looking at where the Education system or
teaching is going.

I really liked the idea and have some thoughts on that. I am Jigar
Raisinghani, currently the maintainer of Calligra Sheets and have been
contributing to KDE for 4 years. Currently, I am working with Red Hat We
attend a lot of conferences like Pycon, KDE conf , Akademy etc and there is
a lot of content & ideas which come out of conferences but are never
documented or reused by others ( who aren't attending confs) and it would
make sense for University students if they want to know more about Open
Source products, upcoming technologies and how they can contribute. This
wouldn't be directly related to courses but there can be a section in
WikiToLearn teaching about Open Source Stuff.

I would like to give an example from the Indian Context. There are a lot of
reputed universities in India with great Global Rankings but the sad part
is that the awareness about Open Source is very less and it becomes
difficult to motivate people to contribute to Open Source and we definitely
miss out on potential developers. So, I feel such a section could be like a
one stop information source for potential open source enthusiasts. Also, a
lot of interesting stuff can be made available if people attending
conferences can make notes and post. Usually people write a blog which gets
integrated at the community level but not beyond. Hacker News is awesome
but it doesn't necessarily focus on Open Source and also its just
announcements & news.

So, I feel that adding a section of Open Source would make sense and also
help in promoting Wikifm or WikiToLearn.

The idea can be refined further if it sounds interesting.

Thanks & Regards,
Jigar Raisinghani