New git work flow idea

Davide Valsecchi valsecchi.davide94 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 12:05:37 UTC 2016

> Hello everyone
>
> Yesterday a few members of the tech ML and me were discussing about a new
> kind of git work flow we could adopt for future releases.
>
> This is only an idea and we are open to any suggestion.
>
> First of all the master branch of each git repo would be the staging
> version of the repo. For example the one running on tuttorotto.eu /
> WikiToLearn.vodka
>
> Each time we want to develop a new version we branch master and commit  in
> the new branch. Then once we want to release we merge to master.

In pratice a new branch for every major release is created and used to
track minor releases and hotfix on that version. When we want to release
some feature they can be merged from master to, for example, rel_0.6
branch, and after preproduction test, a new minor release tag (0.6.x) is
created.

Also workflow for hotfix is simplified because that changes should be
committed on rel_0.6 branch directly and then merged back on master.

> If we want to release something really big that would span on a long
> period of time and on more releases we create a separate branch and the
> developers of that branch are required to keep it up to date with Master to
> make the future merge without problems.

In this workflow separated branches for big chages are fundamental!

Davide