Content referencing

Russell Greene russellgreene8 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 22:04:53 UTC 2016

Local labels also provide a possible maintenance issue, say if a label is
deemed more appropriate to be on a different page, then it would be more
difficult without a complex tracking system to track down where that label
went and update it.

Global labels don't propose this issue because they aren't page-bound; the
system could easily update the reference internally without any work needed.

-Russell

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 3:00 PM Davide Valsecchi <
valsecchi.davide94 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Speaking with Riccardo, we have to carefully considerate if we want to
> create global or "local" labels.
>
> Global label would have a format like:  namespace/label.
> Otherwise local label would be linked to the name of the page:
> page_name/label.
>
> The global alternative has the pro that it would be really useful for
> user, who wouldn't have to remember the page name, but it would be against
> mediawiki structure.
> On the contrary local labels would be only a magic word for anchors,
> usable by ocg, but would be more direct.
>
> Personally I'm for global labels with strict rules for namespaces. Another
> alternative could be using only the root page name.
> For example if I have to link:   Mechanics/Newton/Force/equation1 we could
> use label=Mechanics/equation1.
>
> Davide

>> So the design we decided on was a global database that holds the "labels"
>> that define important concepts/definitions/theorem/etc. These can easily be
>> referenced by doing: <ref label="your label">...</ref>.
>>
>> I have made quite a lot of progress on this. (also see
>> https://phabricator.kde.org/T746)
>>
>> There are a few concerns though:
>>
>> - VisualEditor. We would want to implement a way to let VisualEditor know
>> that this exists.
>> - Breaking references accidentally. This seems like it could become a
>> maintenance burden, but at the same time the system should be smart enough
>> to move references on page moves and warn on page delete.
>>
>> Is this a feature that would be useful? Give me your input.
>>
>> -Russell
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 8:48 AM Riccardo Iaconelli <riccardo at kde.org>
>> wrote:

>>> This should be OK, if you don't include references, things will break
>>> (this
>>> also happens logically, if you reference some text that doesn't exist in
>>> the
>>> book). Or, if you are smart enough, you can print out a link (i.e. page