[WebKit-devel] Release kwebkitpart?

Dawit A adawit at kde.org
Wed Jun 30 06:41:58 CEST 2010

On Tuesday, June 29, 2010 16:51:04 Urs Wolfer wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 23:04:02 -0400, Dawit A <adawit at kde.org> wrote:

> >> You are right, there was a discussion about it.
> >>
> >> It was my plan to release it, but I have been really busy the last
> >> months... I have had very few time to work on KDE-related things.
> >>
> >> This will change in the next weeks hopefully...
> >>
> >> IMHO the current state is quite ready to be released soon.
> >>
> >> Dawit, what do you think about it?
> >
> > Personally I am fine with such a release with one stipulation. The
>
> release
>
> > be
> > marked as beta or technology preview or something along those lines to
> > indicate its current state of development. Besides lacking many
>
> important
>
> > features readily available in other webkit browsers, mostly due to these
> >
> > features not being implemented upstream by QtWebKit, KWebKitPart itself
> > has a
> > couple of critical bugs that need to be addressed.
> >
> > To help those that want to use KWebKitPart in place of KHTML permanently
> > make
> > an informed decision, I have outlined the current state of issues and
> > missing
>
> > functionality in both QtWebKit and kdewebkit/kwebkitpart below:
> [...]
>
> > Hope the paints a clearer picture of the state of affairs than a simple
> > answer.
> > Referring to the two links given above is the best way to find out the
> > current
> > status of the two modules above.
>
> Thanks a lot for your clear statement. I fully agree with that.
>
> I just have updated the KWebKitPart README document with some information
> from your comment above.

Great. The only thing I would change in that document is to make the section
on "How to use KWebKitPart in Konqueror" a little bit more elaborate. For
example, simply changing rendering engines from the view mode will only
persist for that change. IOW, if you press the reload button to reload the
current page, the view will be reverted back to the default. I think it would
be beneficial to mention that there.

> So I will put a release in the next days on kde-apps.org.
> Btw, it's also a nice timing with the recent KDE SC 4.5 RC1 announcement,
> which mentions the the integration of WebKit into KDE (no idea why they
> mention it there, btw... IMHO it's a bit early for such comment):
> http://kde.org/announcements/announce-4.5-rc1.php

Yes, I saw it too and assumed you had something to do with it. I guess not...

Regards,
Dawit A.