[WebKit-devel] Release kwebkitpart?

Urs Wolfer uwolfer at kde.org
Tue Jun 29 22:51:04 CEST 2010

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 23:04:02 -0400, Dawit A <adawit at kde.org> wrote:
> On Sunday, June 27, 2010 15:00:13 Urs Wolfer wrote:
>> On Friday 25 June 2010 18:54:13 alekcejk at googlemail.com wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > There was discussions couple of month ago about public release  of
>> > kwebkitpart and putting it on kde-apps.org.
>> >
>> > Is there any news when kwebkitpart release could be?
>>
>> You are right, there was a discussion about it.
>>
>> It was my plan to release it, but I have been really busy the last
>> months... I have had very few time to work on KDE-related things.
>>
>> This will change in the next weeks hopefully...
>>
>> IMHO the current state is quite ready to be released soon.
>>
>> Dawit, what do you think about it?
>
> Personally I am fine with such a release with one stipulation. The
release
> be
> marked as beta or technology preview or something along those lines to
> indicate its current state of development. Besides lacking many
important
> features readily available in other webkit browsers, mostly due to these

> features not being implemented upstream by QtWebKit, KWebKitPart itself
> has a
> couple of critical bugs that need to be addressed.
>
> To help those that want to use KWebKitPart in place of KHTML permanently
> make
> an informed decision, I have outlined the current state of issues and
> missing
> functionality in both QtWebKit and kdewebkit/kwebkitpart below:
[...]
> Hope the paints a clearer picture of the state of affairs than a simple
> answer.
> Referring to the two links given above is the best way to find out the
> current
> status of the two modules above.

Thanks a lot for your clear statement. I fully agree with that.

I just have updated the KWebKitPart README document with some information
from your comment above.

So I will put a release in the next days on kde-apps.org.

Btw, it's also a nice timing with the recent KDE SC 4.5 RC1 announcement,
which mentions the the integration of WebKit into KDE (no idea why they
mention it there, btw... IMHO it's a bit early for such comment):
http://kde.org/announcements/announce-4.5-rc1.php

Bye
urs