[WikiToLearn Editors] Disambiguation page for concurrent courses

Dario Mapelli mapelli.dario at gmail.com
Wed May 11 23:49:52 UTC 2016

Would we add direct PDF downloads for "author" books? what about
> collaborative
> ones? are they guaranteed to have a reasonable index?

​This is quite simple: i would add a direct PDF download link for every
course, even if they are collaborative and not yet perfect.

Now the hardest part​: I see some problems emerging.
1. Are we gonna import every .tex file in a different imported course, even
if it is veeery similar to an already existing one? The answer can be "yes,
in order to give credit to both the `donors`", or "no, we do not want to
have content dispersion"

​2. ​What about a professor who wants to develop its notes on the website?
We could encourage him to start a collaborative course, but he may not feel
different from its colleague who have their name on imported authored
courses. This may push our professor to develop the notes locally in latex,
and then give us the sources to be imported, closing the development cicle.
We may think of differentiating the courses based on the title of who is
developing them, and not to the fact that they are imported or developed on
our website.
This would mean that we differentiate between student/collaborative
courses, researchers/professors, despite the completness of the content.
That could be described through a different system (maybe using the ranking
system here?).

3. Sometimes it may also be possible that a professor strongly encourages
the creation of a course inside WTL by its students, then he reviews the
content and may pretend to have this course to be transferred from the
collaborative section to the authored one. I would then create a system to
give credit to the reviewer. This would allow, for example, to have
collaborative editions to be reviewd by professors, so that the professor
does nottake excessivecredit for the work by its students, and its role
inside the development cicle is described more accurately.
Moreover, it may be possible that a professor review a course, then it gets
changed. The professor would want its review to be relative to a specific
version. Think about the reviews as git tags.
Finally, i would give the PDF download link for each reviewed version, very
"git-likely".

Eventually, I suggest to describe each course through a template that
specifies the Author(s) [Collaborative/Students | Researcher | Professor],
Reviews [students | researcher | professor]. We may think about inserting
in this template the short description of the course and its argument
ouline.

4. We are considering "disambiguation" at course level. Sometimes it may be
sufficient to have different verions of a section/chapter, or smaller parts
of the content (let's say just a demonstration in the case of a math
textbook). This is still an unexplored path, but I think it should not be
ignored.

I'm sorry for the not proper grammar, i'm quite tired and my english could
not be perfect.

Cheers,
Dario