[WikiToLearn Editors] Disambiguation page for concurrent courses

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Wed May 11 16:52:46 UTC 2016

On mercoledì 11 maggio 2016 18:14:25 CEST Gianluca Rigoletti wrote:
> It seems really a handy way to manage different materials on that
> course! We still need to try to find an appropriate expression
> identifying the imported books. I would really like to see some
> feedback from non italian members; they may have the solution. What
> you see in the template is "Corsi d'autore Accademico" which can be
> translated into "Author's academic courses". If someone has a better
> idea please tell us!

<brainstorming>

Well, they may describe imported books, the idea is that they are self-
consistent, or written by some notable authors. But we would want that all
courses produced on WTL are started as collaborative courses.

We could try to change Collaborative courses to Community courses vs...
Authored courses? (not sure that sounds really good tbh)

Let's try again to define how we'd want this used and what kind of material
we'd get:

#1 community based notes:
they are usually started off by students or by a diverse community, there can
be more than one covering the same subject if they differ in approach or
depth, and it's all those courses that might be yet to be completed but are
started off on the website, written a few chapters at a time and improved by a
community.

#2: "author" courses, written on the website:
I am a cool professor and I am writing my book on WikiToLearn. I have my
precise way of explaining things, and I am not interested in other approaches,
but I am still developing my book on WikiToLearn step by step.

#3: "imported" content:
Somebody gave us some TeX sources of content, usually quite polished, as they
come from a previous publication. The author is usually notable-ish, or it has
received a proper review.

At this point... why separating things at all and not just adding a badge
"imported" to the imported notes? I'd still want to encourage people to write
collaborative versions of books, but maybe that can still be done by addding a
link on top? And what about a section for Collections? (i.e. what can be
downloaded as PDF)

Would we add direct PDF downloads for "author" books? what about collaborative
ones? are they guaranteed to have a reasonable index?

</brainstorming>

Bye,
-Riccardo