First Impressions on VisualEditor

Vincenzo Eduardo Padulano vincenzo.e.padulano at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 20:18:37 UTC 2016

Hi everybody!
Yesterday was first day of school here at Unimib, so I took the chance to
restart my editing work! I just wanted to point out some first opinions on
the usability of the new features.

First of all, I created a private course under my userpage, link is here
http://it.wikitolearn.org/Utente:V.e.padulano/meccanica_quantistica_rapuano_2016_2017
In order to create the course, Ale Tundo gave me a link to the "course
editor" feature. Besides the thing that it's not yet implemented directly
on the site, I found CourseEditor very intuitive and it just very well
fulfilled its scope.

About the actual content creation, I find that now is way simpler than
before, so I won't bother you with the many pros, instead I just wanted to
point out a few points that make it quite difficult at the moment:

_ With the many templates that we are using, although they make the layout
of the text prettier and cleaner, there's a problem when I try to modify
some text . Precisely you cannot modify the text inside a template through
the VisualEditor interface, instead the template is treated just like a
<math> environment and if you want to modify something inside it, text or
math, you have to do it through wikitext. This makes the experience of
editing some pages wich make extensive use of templates very unpleaseant.

_the new <math> environment is very cool, but it takes way too long to
render formulas. I don't know anything that's behind it, but still I find
myself saving the page, reloading it and pressing again the "modify"
button, just to look at the last formula I wrote. This is also very
difficult to live with.

Hope my words will be useful in some way,
Vincenzo Eduardo Padulano