[Uml-devel] usability suggestions

Sebastian Stein seb_stein at gmx.de
Mon Sep 20 23:58:01 UTC 2004

Stefan Seefeld <seefeld at sympatico.ca> [040921 08:55]:
> >No plans currently, and I probably wouldn't know how to start doing
> >it.  However it's an interesting idea and people do keep asking for
> >command line diagram to image generation.
>
> uh, I didn't aim this far ! :-)
> Well, let's see, there are a couple of milestones to get there. I'v
> never coded with KDE myself, so we have to educate each other a bit
> to get this rolling. Here are the two basic building blocks that will
> you get there:
>
> * make it possible for users to configure client-side commands to be
>   called via menu / toolbar items (or even just keyboard shortcuts).
>
> * define an interface to the underlaying model (the 'document') and
>   possibly the whole application that you then expose to a scripting
>   frontend such as python (via sip, boost.python, or whatever)
>
> With these two things working, you could then write a 'command' in
> python that accesses and manipulates the application / model state
> and invoke it from the (G)UI as the user requests.

The problem is, that at the moment model and view are not always good
separated from each other. You can go this way of course, but while you
implement it, you will have to refactor Umbrello's code. This would be great
benefit, so I really encourage you to do it!

Sebastian
--
Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation