[Uml-devel] A few questions

Andrew Sutton asutton at cs.kent.edu
Wed Mar 17 06:35:04 UTC 2004

> Second: Brian, does Umbrello work well with your projects? I have a mere
> 180k project and I am slowly but steadily going nuts. I accidentally have
> forgotten to set the code generation language to other than Cpp and my file
> inflated to 1.8 MB with Umbrello slowing down to frozen state.

i think you're stumbling on to a feature that results from uml itself. it's
too big, and xmi makes nice verbose files that are ridiculously large. i
imported all of a program called hippo draw (~200 classes) and ended up with
a 4 MB xmi file. the memory footprint might be even bigger. i know that it
would be in the case of my uml implementation.

i think this could teach us a good lesson in design for the future. how does
one reduce the overall footprint of uml and a tool that uses it? it's not an
easy question to answer...

andrew sutton
asutton at cs.kent.edu