[Uml-devel] kdesdk (silent)

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Fri Oct 24 12:37:10 UTC 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 04:30:40PM +0200, Sebastian Stein wrote:
> Peeter Russak <pezz at tkwcy.ee> [031024 16:13]:
> > Also, in some languages parts of string must be changed according to it's
> > usage so for example  this same "Umbrello UML Modeller info" looks very
> > ugly in my language and I can't change it because it's composed
> > automatically. You can add description into desktop file.
>
> Well, this is a misunderstanding. A name is a name and doesn't need to be
> translated. So the order shouldn't change. I mean the name Microsoft isn't
> translated as well, so in Germany we don't say Kleinweich.
>
> Of course we could discuss if just Umbrello would be enough. I think
> Umbrello UML Modeller sounds better, but Umbrello would be enough as well. I
> can't really decide it for myself...

Umbrello UML Modeller sounds more grand and impressive than just
Umbrello.  But if it doesn't work as a translation then either
translate it to something which does work or just translate it as the
short name of Umbrello.

You can see how various translations were done (before it all got
messed up by the spelling changes) at
http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdesdk/umbrello/umbrello/umbrello.desktop?rev=1.13&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

"Umbrello" is kept as is with "UML Modeller" translated to something
more understandable.