[Uml-devel] GPL question

Robert Lemmen robertle at semistable.com
Fri May 16 09:08:07 UTC 2003

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 10:22:27PM +0900, P. Fleury wrote:
> From my understanding, such a company would have to write a "link
> layer", which works as a plugin on the Umbrello side, and talk to their
> proprietary part through another mechanism (stars a separate process,
> talks back and forth through shared memory, signals, pipes, sockets,
> email, etc.). The "link layer" would have to GPL, the other part not. I
> am no expert, either...

this has been discussed a lot with various conclusions but never been
tried in court. i could imagine (hope) that at least *some* courts in
the world are sane enough to spot a derived work no matter what
technical way is used to link it to the original work.

even if this might not help in a court, it might prevent
misunderstandings if the umbrello authors could settle on an
interpretation and publish it.

and please, don't allow promote the creation of proprietary
plugins.

cu  robert