[Uml-devel] GPL question

P. Fleury fleury at users.sourceforge.net
Fri May 16 06:35:09 UTC 2003

Jonathan Riddell wrote:

>On Fri, 16 May 2003, Sebastian Stein wrote:
>

>>Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> [030516 13:47]:
>>

>>>Since it would be dynamically linked to our GPL'd library it would be a
>>>derived work and would have to be licenced under the GNU GPL if it was
>>>

>>Ah ok, and if it was possible to write a plugin without linking against
>>Umbrello, it could be delivered without source, right?
>>

>Yes, depending on what mechanism was used.  But Umbrello only allows for
>code generation plugins through dynamicly linking libraries and it would
>be hard to see any other mechanism.  Which is a very good thing since one
>of the main advantages of Umbrello is that it's Free Software, otherwise
>you may as well be using Rational etc.

 From my understanding, such a company would have to write a "link
layer", which works as a plugin on the Umbrello side, and talk to their
proprietary part through another mechanism (stars a separate process,
talks back and forth through shared memory, signals, pipes, sockets,
email, etc.). The "link layer" would have to GPL, the other part not. I
am no expert, either...

Pascal