[Uml-devel] GPL question

Luis De la Parra Blum lparrab at gmx.net
Sun May 18 15:43:23 UTC 2003

I think if a software company likes Umbrello so much and starts using it for
"real work" ( ie, design the programs from which they make money ) and they
come up with a nice plug in, the least they could do is to give that code
back to the community.
That's what would seem fair to me.. I mean, if they are getting the main thing
for free, they should allow the rest of us to get their add on in the same
maner.

On Friday 16 May 2003 13:12, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2003, Mathias Meyer wrote:
> > On Friday 16 May 2003 11:20 Sebastian Stein wrote:
> > > If a company decides to implement some Umbrello plugins, could they do
..

> Since it would be dynamically linked to our GPL'd library it would be a
> derived work and would have to be licenced under the GNU GPL if it was
> distributed.  This is a good thing and the reason for using a copyleft

I dont think you are right here, Jonathan.
Like I said above, I think they *should* do it, and even though I'm by no
means law-expert, I think they could get away with it.
I think if their code is statically linked to ours, then it becomes GPLed, but
as long as it's dynamically linked thay can close it.

just take a look at the nvidia drivers. they are dlls ( modules ) and are
closed -- nobody likes it that much, but everyone accepts it. I guess it's
better to have a closed-source driver, than having shitty graphics under
linux.

luis