[Uml-devel] u2 user interface

Andrew Sutton ansutton at kent.edu
Tue Mar 25 08:27:02 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 25 March 2003 10:34 am, Sebastian Stein wrote:
> > it might not hurt to provide definitions of some of these things - i'm
> > not really sure what they all are. i know what drill down is. i suspect
> > that roll up is moving to a higher level of abstraction. slice and dice?
> > creating views based on dynamic queries?
>
> That isn't easy, but ok, here you go!

<snip>

hmm... we're getting into some interesting areas here. i think we're basically
talking about building a hypermodeling environment. as far as i can tell,
hypermodeling is a subset of hypermedia that links objects OO databases
together. hypermedia is basically linked or embedded documents as far as i
can tell.

here's a question... how viable is it to use svg for all of our primary views?
i'm not entirely sure what it would require. i suspect that ksvg has some
widget that we could use as the main frame. creating gui elements would
probably just be putting objects into the document model... we'd probably
have to do some work getting stuff to move around just right and responding
to clicks. it would certainly look good though :)

i think it can be done. there's a product called hyperModel
(www.xmlmodeling.com i think) that uses svg and automated layout.

anyway the hypermodel links (i.e. links corresponding to the operations you
just described) could be built into each of the elements on a diagram. right
click on it, and get a context menu that contains the operations? maybe. i
don't know.

andy