[Uml-devel] u2 user interface

Sebastian Stein seb_stein at gmx.de
Tue Mar 25 11:14:34 UTC 2003

Andrew Sutton <ansutton at kent.edu> [030325 18:20]:
> here's a question... how viable is it to use svg for all of our primary
> views?  i'm not entirely sure what it would require. i suspect that ksvg
> has some widget that we could use as the main frame. creating gui elements
> would probably just be putting objects into the document model... we'd
> probably have to do some work getting stuff to move around just right and
> responding to clicks. it would certainly look good though :)

You mean SVG for diagram drawing only, don't you? I mean you don't want to
draw GUI with SVG.

If this is the case, yes it is the goal to use SVG for diagram drawing. In
UML 2.0 SVG is used for diagram interchange in combination with XMI.

> i think it can be done. there's a product called hyperModel
> (www.xmlmodeling.com i think) that uses svg and automated layout.

Well, I can only see one image and no description. Or do I have to be a
member?

As I can tell from the screenshot, I think it is a very common app. Nothing
really cool there.

> anyway the hypermodel links (i.e. links corresponding to the operations you
> just described) could be built into each of the elements on a diagram. right
> click on it, and get a context menu that contains the operations? maybe. i
> don't know.

Not right click. In the given context the best fitting operation should be
performed by left click. To get the opposite of the operation, you use the
back button.

Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation
Homepage        : http://www.umbrello.org/