[Uml-devel] Re: Requirements Gathering in Umbrello?

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Thu Mar 6 05:42:11 UTC 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Frank Uzzolino wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> Are there any plans for Umbrello with regards to requirements
> gathering and tracking requirements back to use cases?  The
> Jeremia project does tracks requirements back to use cases,
> but  1) it doesn't do the diagrams like Umbrello, and 2) it's
> written in Java.  With my quick investigation of both
> applications, maybe an integration of the two would be a
> good start (Rational's ReqPro and Rose are two independent
> applications working together).  I like the XMI file format with
> Umbrello.  If Jeremia's file format was changed to XMI, then
> the two applications could be used together.

I don't really have any plans to do anything like that, and I'm afraid I'm
not entirely clear what requirements gathering entails.  Of course if
someone else wanted to add it to Umbrello that would be great.

Worth pointing out that our file format is only very loosly based on XMI,
maybe worth investigating more for Umbrello 2?

> With Umbrello running under KDE, I'm assuming it can't
> easily be ported to Windows (just curious, really!).

It doesn't work under windows.

> Also, is there any way to get information on version 2?  The
> project home page indicates that "it currently doesn't do
> anything".

Check it out of sourceforge's CVS is the best way.