[Uml-devel] Re: Requirements Gathering in Umbrello?

Andrew Sutton ansutton at kent.edu
Thu Mar 6 06:44:10 UTC 2003

On Thursday 06 March 2003 8:41 am, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Frank Uzzolino wrote:
> > Hi Jon,
> >
> > Are there any plans for Umbrello with regards to requirements
> > gathering and tracking requirements back to use cases?  The
> > Jeremia project does tracks requirements back to use cases,
> > but  1) it doesn't do the diagrams like Umbrello, and 2) it's
> > written in Java.  With my quick investigation of both
> > applications, maybe an integration of the two would be a
> > good start (Rational's ReqPro and Rose are two independent
> > applications working together).  I like the XMI file format with
> > Umbrello.  If Jeremia's file format was changed to XMI, then
> > the two applications could be used together.
>
> I don't really have any plans to do anything like that, and I'm afraid I'm
> not entirely clear what requirements gathering entails.  Of course if
> someone else wanted to add it to Umbrello that would be great.

agreed. if somebody has published a UML profile or a metamodel for
requirements modeling 2.0 could (in theory) use that to provide requirements
functionality - of course, that's not at all like requisite pro.

> Worth pointing out that our file format is only very loosly based on XMI,
> maybe worth investigating more for Umbrello 2?

we should be able to throw non-XMI compliant stuff into an XMI file, but
without a metamodl for requirements we can't parse it generically.

> > Also, is there any way to get information on version 2?  The
> > project home page indicates that "it currently doesn't do
> > anything".
>
> Check it out of sourceforge's CVS is the best way.

or you could ask me :) the stuff in CVS right now is still a transitional
thing. the only "good" thing there is umbrello2/tools/mmgen - it creates
metamodel implementations for metamodel specifications written in XMI. i'm
kind of putzing around trying to learn automake and autoconf right now so i
can start building shared libraries and the actual application.

andy