[Uml-devel] changes in build system

Luis De la Parra Blum lparrab at gmx.net
Wed Jan 29 16:13:05 UTC 2003

On Thursday 30 January 2003 00:43, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> There's a program, includemocs, which did this.  It's supposed to make it
> compile faster.

I dont really see how... before if you changed the implementation the moc.cpp
was not regenerated and did not need to be recompiled, while now you
recompile all (since it's just a big single file)... but oh well!, if you say
it will compile faster I'll just take your word =)

> > does this mean we now have to manage the build system by ourselves??
> > (ok, as long as we dont and new files no problem, but.....)
>
> Unfortunatly the KDE people assume that we can manage it ourselves, so I
> guess we'll have to.  (Although as just to proove your point I'm stuck on
> how to get Umbrello to recognise the number in the VERSION file.  What
> I've done in the Makefile.am doesn't seem to work.)

yes. such things were a matter of 3 clicks in KDevelop. The same goes for
adding a folder or a new file.. so I wish us all good luck with make and
friends.
I dont really see why the KDE people dont allow us to have KDevelop-managed
makefiles. After all KDevelop makes it in such a way that you dont depend on
it for building your project (all you need is autoconf + automake.. just like
with user-managed makefiles)

This brings me to another question... if we have to learn how makefiles work,
then be it -- I guess one day it would've happend anyways-- .. but... will we
still be able to use KDevelop ?  (and I mean not just the editor,
* but clicking "run" to make and run the project?
* build->autoconf and automake and configure?
*project->add new classes?

I am still in the painfully slow process of updating my KDE to 3.1 via an old
modem, so I havent been able to  build the new umbrello yet..

luis